Trucker strike on April 1? Or April 3? Or not at all?

QuickNews Supply Chain Management 40 comments

** Still scattered reports of striking truckers, but mostly this has fizzled out. Updates have been moved to the bottom of the post **

Lots of rumors, little facts. It’s been talked about all over the news, the internet, and the blogosphere, that a trucker strike is imminent, either April 1st or April 3rd. From the news article linked above:

During the last two weeks, the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, a trade association based in Missouri that represents roughly 161,000 truckers nationwide, has fielded increased calls from drivers with questions about the strike, said Norita Taylor, a spokeswoman. Threats of strikes among independent truckers are relatively common but usually twist in the wind and fail to materialize, Taylor said.

This strike appears to have progressed beyond the usual scuttlebutt.

“I have answered a record number of calls this week,” Taylor said. “But with so much rumor, it’s difficult to pinpoint who is going to participate. I’ve talked to a lot of members who don’t plan to participate.”

What striking trucker’s hope to gain varies, but the common complaint is the spiraling costs of diesel fuel, which has spiked to $4 a gallon in some parts of the country. Truckers who drive as part of company fleets have all their fuel costs covered by their employer, but independent drivers get reimbursed for their gas costs through a fuel surcharge. The terms of those surcharge programs vary across the companies and do a poor job of covering sudden spikes in fuel rates, Pennland said.

Via Don Surber, also linked above:

But Ickes also reported: “Jim Johnston, president of Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, warned that a strike ‘is not the answer,’ saying, ‘Calling for a strike without the support of the majority would show weakness rather than strength, and the result would be increased economic hardship to the small percentage of truckers who do participate in the shutdown with no gains to justify their sacrifice’.”

But the truckers have their complaints. Besides the fuel costs, the credit crunch is putting pressure on insurance companies to increase their premiums. Bad credit makes a trucker a higher risk for insurers.

While I am sympathetic, I like America’s system of paying for the roads with fuel taxes. A truck strike was tried a few times in the 1970s to poor results. It will be interesting to see if in this time of cable news networks and their 24-hour hole if striking truckers works this time around.

I was also swamped with notifications from concerned logistics providers warning of this possible strike, mentioning April 1st and the possibility that it could last up to 3 days. However, as all the reports have indicated, only independent truckers are considering the strike, the Teamsters are not involved. I’m not really sure what to expect, I think coordinating a massive strike amongst all the independent truckers and drivers is a steep hill to climb. They will need to get a large majority of participation for this to be effective. While I’m sympathetic to their cause and will admit to not having a deep knowledge of the owner-operator trucking world, it’s really up to them to enforce their own fuel surcharges to cover increasing fuel costs. In the hyper-competitive trucking industry that may be difficult to do but I know several owner operators who run things pretty tight and strict and won’t work with outfits who try to stiff or short them when it comes to fuel surcharge increases. However, I doubt the majority is so skillful (or lucky?) in ensuring they get their proper share of fuel surcharges from the trucking companies / brokers that they work with.

Update: Per reader comments it’s a 3-day strike from April 1-3.

March 31st Update: Some news accounts are quoting doubts over how effective the strike will be:

“You’re not going to get everybody to cooperate and do it,” says Lloyd Peterson, a trucker. “You can’t get two truckers to agree on anything.”

Peterson has been a trucker for 40 years and says he’s not surprised most of the truckers 6 News spoke with Monday say they aren’t planning to park their trucks.

“We cannot afford to shutdown,” says Jerry Luneke, safety director for Dark Star Transportation.

The truckers rumored to be shutting down are independent ones. The group U.S. Cattle Haulers is also calling for truckers to shutdown.

However, the Tennessee Truckers Association says it strongly disagrees with the shutdown predicting it is not going to do any good.

And the Arkansas Trucking Association doesn’t support it, either.

April 1st Update: 08:13am PST: Today’s supposedly the big day. I am waiting for a couple of my contacts here on the West Coast to let me know if they’ve seen any effect of the strike or heard anything.

In the meantime there are reports that trucks are lined up at the port of Tampa in support of the strike. In Denver they reported from a truck stop that there is support for the strike but no news of any idle trucks.

April 1: 09:38am PST: One of the local trucking companies I know claims all their drivers (all of them owner-operators) showed up for work. I was bluntly told “our drivers can’t afford NOT to work.” They must treat their drivers well because most of them have been working for them for a long time. I also heard back from a couple of other contacts in the industry who said they have not seen anything substantial yet.

April 1: 12:34pm PST: According to this article there are reports that truckers are driving 20mph southbound on the NJ Turnpike while others protested at a nearby service area. The words I am seeing in most news reports are “scattered strikes” across the country.

April 1: 2:36pm PST: Three drivers in the Chicago area ticketed for blocking lanes on the interstate and slowing down traffic. The Dayton Daily News proclaims the strike a “hit or miss proposition”. So far I’m not seeing any nationwide effect, only isolated pockets of participation in the strike.

April 2: 08:01am PST: I didn’t update this post further last night because, frankly, there wasn’t much to report. I’m sorry guys, but this “strike” just doesn’t seem to have much legs to it. There have been a few scattered reports of truckers slowing things down and a handful here and there parking their trucks, but overall I’d have to call it a failure unless today and tomorrow a large number of drivers suddenly decide to participate. The effort seems fractured and scattered without any kind of hard organization. One other thing: From a couple of news reports I saw, as a driver you aren’t supporting “the strike” simply by saying so and then getting back up in your truck and leaving. I had to shake my head at one reporter who was talking to drivers at a truck stop, many who were all too willing to go on and on about the woes of being a truck driver and how they “support their fellow drivers” – as they sit there filling up their tanks, eventually hopping into the cab and driving off. Huh?

But the drivers in Tampa are back today protesting across from the Port and claim their numbers are greater than yesterday. The El Paso Times seems to have a good handle on things and quotes one driver as saying he’ll strike on Thursday but other than that most truckers are going about their daily business.

Anyways, we’ll keep checking the news for updates, perhaps as the day progresses things will change and more drivers will park their trucks, but so far it’s not looking like much of a nationwide effort.

Update: April 3rd: Some truckers went on strike in Savannah. This news article reports that port traffic was down 50%. There is also a report that truckers are striking in Southeastern Iowa as well. Haven’t heard about anything else, for the most part this thing has fizzled, although some truckers claim the strike is gaining legs and will last longer.

Twitter RSS Facebook
SwizStick

About The Author: Co-Contributor

• Frederick (SilverSurfer) Schaffner March 29, 2008, 5:56 am
  • DJA2005 March 29, 2008, 9:46 am

THe RVer’s are going on Strike with the Truckers April 3

• Trucker Strike March 29, 2008, 11:10 am

APRIL 1 WE SHUT THEM DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• TREENA March 29, 2008, 11:29 am

WE ARE SUPPORTING THE USCATTLEHAULERS AND INDEPENDANT OWNER OPERATORS NATIONWIDE BY SHUTTING DOWN APRIL 1ST. MANY WILL SAY THIS IS INEFFECTIVE AND NOT A GREAT WAY TO DO BUSINESS. HOWEVER, AFTER RUNNING FIRST QUARTER PROFIT/LOSS FOR OVER 40 DRIVERS, THE PROOF IS IN THE NUMBERS. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO REALIZE THAT NO ONE WILL GO ON LOSING MONEY TO WORK. ORGANIZE AND STAND TOGETHER, EVERY PERSON WHO CONSUMES IN THIS COUNTRY WILL BE IN A DIRE SITUATION IF INDEPENDANT DRIVERS CONTINUE TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

• buz lightyear March 29, 2008, 4:22 pm

I know of many drivers parking for the week. I know of several companies who are running trucks but who are refusing grocery house and Wally World loads for one week to ten day period. Should be enough available freight because of strikers to pull this off. Hoping the fuel haulers will stick together. Fuel prices must give or rates must rise or there will be fewer trucks on the road permently. The industry is on life support.

• happy gilmore March 29, 2008, 5:40 pm

If you dont’ deliver to food wholesalers this week then they can’t run their trucks next week

• tinfoil hatman March 29, 2008, 6:55 pm

The oil companies STILL are making less than 10 cents on a gallon of gas they sell. The real greedy fat-cats are the Federal and State govt.s and the COMMODITY SPECULATORS! We need to change the manner in which “oil futures” are traded. There is NO OIL SHORTAGE, just a slew of banks and investment firms running the prices up, and of course Uncle Sam taking his ‘share’ of every dollar that changes hands even if it’s being handed to some hardworking trucker’s bankruptcy lawyer!

• vince March 30, 2008, 12:46 am

last week i was informed about the strike by a driver in florida. we were both in support any action that would bring about positive changes to the industry. however as i later found out, there is a difference in the scheduled dates of april 1st or april 3rd. i do believe that it would be more effective to have a go-slow than a strilke; a go-slow would include and affect everybody. perhaps the speed limit could be lowered to about 10mph. even more important, it is critical to distribute the information about these actions through a variety of media sources so that truckers can be current.

• overdirve March 30, 2008, 6:32 am

We have to get the fed’s attention. Truckers need a representative in Washington that will stand up for truckers. Of course, you can’t get a rep in Washington to stand up for anyone in the general public……….

• The Rabbit March 30, 2008, 12:38 pm

The strike is supposed to be April 1-3. Not one or the other.
    There are a number of companies around me shutting down for the week. My truck will be among them.
    Before somebody starts saying how I can’t operate my business, I’ll let you know I’ve been driving truck for 17 years, the last 10 as an owner-operator. I know what it takes to make ends meet. They simply aren’t adding up these days. I’m even driving 55 mph these days, whether on 2-lane or interstate. It bothers me how many company trucks still fly past me. I’ve seen quite a few owner-operator trucks slowing down, though. That’s good to see. (BTW- my fuel mileage has increased about 1 mpg)
    I certainly hope this works out. I’ve seen a number of “strikes” in my time. This is the first one I’ll be going with. I have no choice at this point.
    Have a wonderful day.

• yankeecowboy March 30, 2008, 7:28 pm

Yes the shutdown is to be from april 1st to the 3rd this is to get attention of those that will help.OOIDA is calling for a shutdown on the 1st. the other 2 days that follow will let lawmakers know we mean bussiness. Hopefully the main issues that are hurting the industry will be addressed. Rising fuel costs put in check will help all americans. as will rising insurance costs. Getting brokers to quit ripping us as drivers off will get more cash in our pockets. Big goverment needs to police the big guys more. And quit trying to create more rules of non safety laws to harrass us with!

• Debra Davis March 31, 2008, 10:32 am

My husband spent $2,800 last week in fuel…As of this morning he has shut down. We can all complain about the high cost of fuel but unless we all take a stand nothing will ever change. We can’t afford to be down but where do we draw the line? When do we say enough is enough and try & do something about it? Everyone needs to turn their trucks off on the 1st!! Amagine the impact seeing truck after truck lined up along the roadways in protest of fuel cost!!!! The Teamsters need to get back to where they were when Jimmy Hoffa was alive and head of the union and stand up and do their job!
    Without trucks America really does stop…people don’t realize that…we need to show them.

• SwizStick March 31, 2008, 11:29 am

Wow. This post has certainly generated a lot of traffic and plenty of comments, both appreciated. For those of you new to this site, welcome, have a seat and take a look around. While our site tends to focus on the international aspect of logistics and supply chain management we do post occasionally on the trucking industry and issues that affect all of us involved in the transport and logistics of goods (such as infrastructure, congestion, etc.).

I checked with one of the independent trucking companies I work with locally and they said that while they have heard a lot of noise about the strike to start tomorrow they are effectively open, not being entirely sure how many of their drivers will or will not participate in the strike. Then again, they have a lot of long term drivers (owner operators) working for them so I can only assume that they treat their drivers pretty well, otherwise I doubt they would work for them for such a long time.

tinfoil hatman – I certainly have no idea how much (or how little) oil companies are making on fuel, but your points on the effect federal, state, and local fuel taxes have on the price of fuel and the fact that speculators are driving up the price of oil are pretty relevant. Kiplinger’s manager forecasts (as well as most of the analysis I have read regarding the price of oil) all claim the same thing: supply is up, demand is down, there is no basis for the high cost of oil. It’s speculators dumping their money into commodities (such as oil and gold) due to the weak dollar and overall economic instability. While oil is and will remain high, the current prices are unnaturally high and analysts seem to agree that it will come down once speculation is taken out of the market.

TheRabbit – thanks for the clarification. At the time I wrote this post I had read conflicting reports that it was a one day strike on April 1st or April 3rd. So I guess we can expect – if it pulls off – a 3-day strike starting tomorrow.

As some of you have mentioned, recovering the rising cost of fuel through fuel surcharges seems to be the big problem. Unscrupulous truck brokers and carriers who refuse to pay your going rate are supposedly to blame. The question I have, and please be polite and understand I don’t have a deep knowledge of the independent trucking industry, is why would a driver work for someone who didn’t pay them the agreed upon fuel surcharge? I know it’s a hyper-competitive industry and that in itself is a problem, isn’t it? I mean, if you stick to your guns on a higher fuel surcharge I assume you risk losing the job/load to another driver willing to compromise for a lower price – so in that respect there is the possibility that drivers are undercutting and hurting each other. And as I mentioned in the post, while rare, there are some drivers who make sure they get paid their going rate and don’t work with people who won’t pay them accordingly. How does a driver ensure he works with reputable companies/people and also that he gets paid? It certainly happens, but from reading the comments it seems like a lot of you out there are struggling in this regard.

Just trying to understand the bigger picture, appreciate the insight.

• FORTHETRUCKER March 31, 2008, 2:18 pm

Even though the strikes in the past have not proven much, I certainly hope, if the Independents strike…go for it!! Go all the way!! I certainly hope there will be some improvements, something has got to give for these truckers!

• FORTHETRUCKER March 31, 2008, 2:23 pm

I wish you all the luck!! I hope it makes a difference!!! GO FOR IT!!

• waterdog March 31, 2008, 6:14 pm

I wish you guy’s could and would go on strike and make these people feel the pain….I’m in sales, send all of my products by truck…my company gets all of it’s raw products by trucks….I wish there was money in driving a big rig, I’d do it in a heartbeat but what I know about it, you guy’s are crazy to be killing yourselves, being away from your loved ones and putting up with all of the BS you do with agents, companies and customers….all I can ask is WHY ? I would pay more for everything if I knew it was going to you guy’s….too bad that’s not the way it works…good luck….

• Sharon March 31, 2008, 7:38 pm

GO FOR IT!!!!! Strike if you can….i wish all people wouldnt drive for a week. Bring the oil companies to their knees and totally mess with the Feds. The oil companies have all recorded record profits all of this yr so far…how much is too much? and at all americans expense…so like i said GO FOR IT and good luck!!

• BravoBilly March 31, 2008, 8:02 pm

I am a Viet Nam veteran. I know that a lot of veterans drive trucks. I support tomorrows shutdown, strike or whatever just on general principle. It would be good if the Teamsters and the US Veterans were to get behind this. Bravo Billy

• Nightcrawler March 31, 2008, 8:09 pm

Why not do somehting that works,and doesn’t hurt the very people that need the relief ? Owning a small fleet of six trucks (volvo condos w/cummins engines) I was searching for a way to survive these high fuel costs when it occurred to me that there might be something I could do. Reducing the speed of our trucks (from 73mph to 67mph) has increased our average fuel mileage from 4.8mpg to 6.3mpg overall. the math translates into a monthly fuel savings of 2977 gals of fuel over 60,000 miles. 2977×3.75=$11,163.00 or $1860.00 per truck. o/o slow down and then go home an extra week a month and enjoy your savings. If enough trucking companies and o/o slowed down ,I would guess that we could save enough fuel that the foreign oil barons,oil companies ,and speculators would have enough surplus oil to drown in. Maybe then they might lower the price to a price that is reasonable and fair.

• Concerned Owner/Operator March 31, 2008, 8:14 pm

I am a very concerned owner/operator. I don’t think that this strike will
    be efficient. I do not think there will be enough support to make it go. What
    I do think is that it will cause a chaos in the shipping industry. The fuel is not
    going to go down the government will do as it please.. Either you buy the fuel or
    you seek a different job. How much easier can it be said?? We are controlled this
    is no longer the land of plenty it is the land of disaster! I pray that each and every
    Trucker will be safe throughout this strike! May it bring lower fuel prices and not more
    trouble for us to deal with!
    Be Safe! God Bless Always!
    Gina
    Kilby Trucking

• Concerned Bi-Stander March 31, 2008, 8:22 pm

WOW! This is really devastating! I have to reluctantly admit,, as much as it hurts THIS SITUATION is out of control!
    I agree ‘STRIKE’ has to happen, unfortunateley, This will also hurt the actual consumer, however, I suppose it is really hurting all of us anyway!
    You go guys and gals…I hope everyone as myself will WOW you on…I think WE MUST STICK TOGETHER! “AS AMERICANS”
    STOP ROLLING THE TRUCKS!
    THEY MUST AND WILL SURELY COME TO THERE SENSES!
    God Bless America and what we stand for!!!!

• Sidetrack March 31, 2008, 8:25 pm

I drive a flatbed for a small independent 4 truck owner running FL/GA. We are shutting down tomorrow, Tues. Apr. 1st. to show support for our fellow drivers. And to my understanding, will observe and decide future action as to the following two days accordingly. I plan and encourage others to be out and about tomorrow and take note of those not participating. I will keep said notes, and in the future do my best to have no dealings with them or the products they haul, or ever work for them in the future. May not be practical in all cases, but find your own way to help. It was said that if every house hold would replace one light bulb from incandescent to the new type florescent, it would equal a yearly energy savings of $600,000. Now that’s an impact. And that’s one thing we need. So I call on all drivers to find whatever it is, no matter how small, to do your part to help improve the industry. If nothing more, take the day off and spend some time reading on how things work for us. Education is key. Good luck to all and enjoy your time off. c’ya on tha road, Sidetrack

• scottdawg March 31, 2008, 8:32 pm

I am a company driver and think this needs to be done some one needs to do some thing. I hope it all works out and hope you do not suffer to bad from it!!!!

god bless and good luck

• laspada026 March 31, 2008, 10:41 pm

The sad thing is that this strike needs to be focused on a broader subject. THE MIDDLEMAN! We can’t really control what the government charges us for fuel, but we can control the BROKERS with this strike. The majority of the time we are getting completely ripped off for our fuel surcharge. Just ask a willing shipper/receiver to tell you what he paid to move that load, I guarantee when you tell him the 1.30-1.70 a mile you picked that load up for, their jaw will hit the floor, I have seen it. The customer pays 4.00 a mile to a broker to find them a truck and sure enough someone moves that crap for 1.30 a mile. Do the math, It sucks. I am totally for this strike, completely 150%. I am an Manager for a small trucking company (15 rigs) and I have seen grown men come to tears on Fridays when they try to figure out how to support the family (that they only see once a week) on a McDonald’s salary. Its crap. In my opinion the American truckers should be right up their with the United States Military they are just as important after all. You all have my support and best regards and I wish you nothing but the best, and just know that we will be shutting down those engines with you and passing the word along as well. Good night and good luck!!! TRUCKERS UNITE AND TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK!!!

• 100% March 31, 2008, 11:17 pm

We have to strike, we have to believe that we make a difference. My husband and I are both owner operators. And we both love what we do. But one of us will have to stop driving. If the fuel prices don’t get any better. And I no it will be me. IT’S TIME FOR A CHANGE PLEASE VOTE DON’T FLOAT! I don’t think Barack Obama can do any worse than Bush. Democrats are for truckers and that’s true. Just give me a Democrat.
    PLEASE VOTE FOR A CHANGE !
    PLEASE VOTE FOR A CHANGE !
    PLEASE VOTE FOR A CHANGE !
    GOD BLESS YOU SUPER TRUCKERS!

• SwizStick March 31, 2008, 11:58 pm

Thanks to everyone for reading and for all the comments. As for me personally, I’ll be checking in with the trucking company I use locally and also checking a few other contacts I know who deal in long haul moves to see what actually ends up happening tomorrow. Will update as info comes in. From the comments it sounds like a lot of people are really fired up about this idea, but I still have my doubts as to how effective it will be: a lot, and I mean a lot, of independent truckers will really have to pony up and decide not to work over the next 3 days. The vast majority of truckers are going to have to be willing to turn off their engines for this to be effective.

• Jared April 1, 2008, 12:13 am

I was in Britain during both trucker’s strike and they were very organized and blocked the fuel depots. They did so the first time for a week, and literally brought the country to its knees. People were panic buying, cars weren’t on the streets, the buses were full of people, and the time tables were thrown out the window because people weren’t driving and so the roads were far less congested. The fact of the matter is, the public sympathized with them because they were also bearing the brunt of the high fuel taxes in Britain. What did that chaos accomplish? nothing. Except a new law that would revoke the professional driver’s licence indefinitly if it happened again, which effectively killed any chance of a future strike being successful (the second one wasn’t). This strike will be far less felt than the ones in Britain, and has little chance of being more than a footnote in a year’s time. Hell, even the first one in Britain was talked about for only 6 months or so. Unfortunately, nothing will change. and 100%, It’s politics like Barack’s and democrats that got the UK where it is today, faltering on stifling fuel taxes (diesel well over $8.00 a gallon), and government over regulation. Want to have your truck inspected evry 6 weeks and pay for it? vote regualtion. Want to have to have a tachograph where every minute you spend driving your truck is recorded? vote regulation. Want the government to be able to shut down a trucking company for any reason such as allegations of tax evasion without evidence? vote regulation. Want the government to flag your company for surprise safety inspections because 2 or more trucks failed an annual safety inspection (for something as simple as a headlight sligtly out of adjustment?) vote regulation. Want to stop all this? start by getting rid of the people that are in there. I’m not talking about the President, I’m talking about congress. It’s congress that controls taxes, regulation, government spending, more than the president. Start by voting the overspending corrupt ones out, Democrat, or Republican. But the president doesn’t matter. It’s congress that matters. And that’s why 6 months down the road this won’t matter, because the people that make the policies are still pulling the strings. Even bringing the country to its knees in Britain didn’t change a thing. Becasue they elected the same people in. Labour was in power then, and still is now. Unfortunately, It’s not parties here, it’s the individual people.

• jake April 1, 2008, 5:22 am

I drive for a small company And i went on strike…. Power in numbers!!

• south florida dumper April 1, 2008, 7:55 am

i stop 15 trucks today and they will stay in the yard till thursday, we create some trouble for the new i 75 proyect they will not have trucks for 3 days prob. i will get my ass burn but what the hell can run whit diesel at 4.09 $ a gallon.

• SwizStick April 1, 2008, 9:36 am

I’m still curious to get some questions I have answered from those in the know. From reading the comments I see people blaming everyone from the government to “evil” oil companies to truck brokers and middlemen. However, I’m still unclear as to why owner-operators can’t get their fair price.

1) I assume part of the problem is that some drivers are willing to undercut others in order to get the loads/business. I would be surprised if that doesn’t happen on a regular basis. If true, then shouldn’t the independent truckers share some of the responsibility and blame for not getting what they believe is a fair price?

2) Along those same lines, why aren’t the drivers insisting on being paid their requested fuel surcharge? The customers are certainly paying fuel surcharges, so why aren’t drivers insisting on being paid a fuel surcharge? Is it because you run the risk of one of your fellow independent drivers agreeing to a lower price and thereby “stealing” your load?

3) Unscrupulous brokers/companies/middlemen: This is a free market economy, nobody says you have to work with dishonest business partners. If someone stiffs you or you don’t feel you are getting your fair share, then find someone more reputable to do business with.

• Amber Rossa April 1, 2008, 11:43 am

I’am not a truck driver,But in well do respect I’am a dispatch,secretary,and a bookkeeper.I see and hear daily what is going on with the trucking buisness. Yes we have in the past taken loads that were under priced,but now longer are we doing so and we hope every one else will stop cutting them selves short also.Ther are trucking company’s dropping like fly’s.Yes I agree that us office worker have to do a lot of work and have to have a lot of know how, But I also know that these truckers are smarter and do ten times the work that we do in a days time.They can’t just call it a day at five o’clock ,no they have to get there load done or they don’t get there day’s pay.It’s also the big companys that have 300 trucks that under dog the prices on loads, also the goverment opened up the Mexican boarder and they come over and take our work for dirt cheap and put more of us Americans out of biusness.How fare is that? You figure how much it cost’s to run your truck per mile,tires,oil,maintainence,state and gov. tax’s,fuel tax’s,and if you have any employies,payroll and thats only the begining. Somthing has to happen (WERE Would The World Be With Out Truck Drivers?)Who would move your freight?

• SwizStick April 1, 2008, 12:10 pm

AmberRossa – thanks for your input. I agree that truckers work a lot harder than most folks. My cousin was a driver for years, as was a relative on my Dad’s side. Not to mention the times in the past I have loaded up drivers at midnight who were going to be driving all night long to reach their destination, or the times I spent on the phone on weekend mornings making sure there was labor ready at a delivery appointment to unload the guy who had to show up on a Saturday morning at 6am to be unloaded.

I also appreciate your point about taking loads that were under-priced, something that I’m sure happens all the time. Drivers can strike all they want but it’s useless if they are all out there under-cutting each other and taking loads for lower prices than they can realistically afford.

As for the point about larger trucking companies with 300 truckers under-cutting prices, I’m sorry but that’s the market at work. That’s the same story in every industry in the economy. Same applies to freight forwarders, 3PLs, carriers, logistics providers, customs brokers, retail stores, etc. The larger companies that handle more volume can beat up smaller competitors on price alone. The good news about the market, though, is that it doesn’t always compete on price alone. Having worked for both large and very small companies I have seen the advantages and disadvantages to both sides, but certainly there is room for the small competitor who can offer superior service or serves a role as a niche provider. And it’s not always the biggest competitor that gets the business but the one who is flexible and agile.

• HARRISON April 1, 2008, 4:47 pm

LETS KEEP THE SHUT DOWN GOING,IT WILL TAKE A DAY, BUT THINGS ARE GOING OUR WAY. I,VE TALKED TO SOME TRUCKERS TODAY 4/1 AT TRUCK STOPS IN FLA. MOST AGREE BUT ARE STILL OPERATING. WE ALL CANT AFFORD TO SHUT DOWN I,M ONE OF THEM BUT LETS FACE IT WERE ALLOWING OTHER PEOPLE [BROKERS] TO RUN OUR COMPANYS.YOUR THE BOSS LEARN TO SAY NO TO CHEAP FRT ESPEICALY IF THEY WON,T PAY FUEL SURCHARGE.DON,T LET THEM TELL YOU IT,S IN THE FRT.RATE . IF YOU CANT PAY YOUR BILLS NOW ,HOW ARE YOU GONNA PAY LATER .WHEN THESE BROKERS REALIZE THEY WIN.TURN FRT DOWN THAT DOES,NT PAY 2.00 PER MILE.IT,S YOUR ONY CHANCE AT STAYING IN BUSINESS.

• Nightcrawler April 1, 2008, 4:50 pm

I have a question, and would appreciate an answer from someone that might know. When a broker charges a shipper a fuel surcharge and then pockets the fuel surcharge, aren’t they committing fraud and theft by deception? couldn’t they be prosecuted? I ask this question because I heard on the news and on the o/o website that there isn’t a law against the brokers stealing the fuel surcharges.

• Sleeper April 1, 2008, 7:52 pm

I drove a truck for 15 years and if there going to strike then more power to them i no longer drive but i wish they would we need to bring this country to it’s knees.

• Brad April 1, 2008, 10:43 pm

I work in a bleach production warehouse and have been apart of the shipping and receiving world for a long time now and I really do feel for the truck drivers out there. But Its not just you guys suffering all of the working class is feeling it in there pocket. I would love to see a true trucker strike it would definitely hurt everyone at our business since all of our loads are hauled by truck. we would probably get laid off for as long as it took. But I say this to all of you do it and do it fast!!!!!!! I dont care if I have to sit at home and not get paid and count pennies Something needs to be done in a hurry its not just gas being affected, checked my 401k pretty much gone. Groceries are outrageous and everything else except lumber and thats because the housing market is so bad right now. Please to all of you I beg if you shut down your truck then all business that deal with trucks will have to close there doors and that will definitely get someones attention apr1? apr3? who cares just shut them down now!!!!!

• Jared April 1, 2008, 11:53 pm

working at a Truck dealership in the Bay Area, I saw no change in the trucks running around here, all trucks I saw (and we see a lot of owner operators and independents running the ports) were running, not a single one stopped. Funny things is, if fuel prices continue to rise, as well as regulation, owner operators are history. It becomes too much for an owner operator to manage all the issues of regulation, cost, and deliveries effecitvely, as a result, you’ll need someone to watch these things on a daily basis. The more regulation and “measures of improvement” implemented, the more the market is limited in its abaility to react to change.

• brown April 2, 2008, 4:20 pm

everybody wants there cake and eat it too.be a man,strike or shut up!